Galatians 1- Only One Gospel
Preached on September 19, 2021 by Senior Pastor Adam Utecht
- A ____________ religion (v. 1-5)
- Do not __________ a distorted gospel (v. 6-9)
- __________ to trust Paul’s gospel (v. 10-24)
- Paul is no people __________ (v. 10)
- Paul received the gospel __________ from Christ (v. 11-12)
- Paul’s ____________ history (v. 13-24)
- Read Galatians 1:1-5. Jesus “gave himself for our sins to rescue us.” Read John 10:11-18. How do you see this idea developed in this text?
- D. A. Carson and Doug Moo say, “Christianity has often been understood as nothing more than a system of morality, as the careful observance of a sacramental system, as conformity to standards…” Is this true? Why or why not? What is Christianity?
- The errors spreading in Galatia will not thwart God’s purposes. See the end of v. 4, “according to the will of our God and Father.” James Montgomery Boice says, “It is hard to imagine a statement better calculated to oppose any intrusion of human will or merits in the matter of attaining salvation. This phrase, unique here in Paul's greetings, is undoubtedly added for the sake of the erring Christians in Galatia.”
- Read Gal. 1:5 again. James M. Boice says, “The fact that the glory of God and the giving of glory to God will last forever contrasts markedly with "the present evil age," which is passing away (read 1 Cor. 7:31 and Eph. 2:2-7).”
- Read Galatians 1:6-9. Is Paul being overly harsh? Why or why not?
- What other distorted gospels can you think of? In what ways are they false gospels? Why might people be led astray by them?
- Read Galatians 1:10. Philip Ryken says, “This is a question every person has to answer: Whose pleasure do I seek? If we try to please ourselves, or other people, then we are living by a different gospel. Pleasing God and pleasing others are mutually exclusive. We cannot follow our own ambitions and follow Jesus Christ at the same time.” Read Luke 9:23. In what ways have you found yourself seeking your own ambitions and what do you need to do to pick up your cross and follow Jesus?
- Why is Paul’s conversion so miraculous? How does his personal history support the authenticity of the gospel?
- What do you need to do with the gospel this week? Trust it? Declare it? Live it out?