- Know the ______
- Know the source of our __________ (v. 4-6)
- Know Jesus as ____ (v. 7-11)
- Know His _____ (v. 7-9)
- Know His resurrection and __________ (v. 10-11)
3 Practical steps:
- Know the ______
- Know _____
- Know God’s ____
- Do you know the gospel well enough to explain it to someone who asks?
- Some helpful passages to memorize are Rom. 3:10, 23; 6:23; 10:9-10. Also, Ephesians 2:8-9; John 14:6; 1 Peter 2:24.
- Read Philippians 3:2-3. What is Paul’s warning? In what do Paul’s
opponents put their confidence? In what does Paul put His confidence?
- What good works do people often point to in order to have confidence
they will go to heaven? Why does this not work?
- Read Acts 9:1-31. What happened to Saul? Why did Jesus say, “Why are
you persecuting me”? How did Saul’s life change (besides his name change)?
- Why does Paul move everything in the gain column (v. 5-6) to the loss
column (v. 7)? What things do we need to move to the loss columun in
comparison to knowing Christ? How does this affect we live our lives?
- Have you been found (trusting and taking refuge) in Christ (v. 9)? If not,
turn to Jesus today!
- Knowledge of Jesus is proven by good works. Read 1 John 2:3-6; 3:4-6.
Are you proving that you know Jesus by your good works?
- Read Phil. 3:10-11. Knowing Jesus includes knowing his sufferings.
Gordon Fee says, “Hence knowing Christ involves sharing in his sufferings-
and is a cause for constant joy, not because suffering is enjoyable but
because it is certain evidence of Paul’s intimate relationship with his Lord.”
How does this change the way you view suffering in your life?
- How will you grow in your knowledge of the gospel this week?
- Read Jeremiah 9:23-24. How will you grow in knowing Jesus this week?
- How will you grow in knowing God’s Word this week?
This is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and the one
you have sent —Jesus Christ.